As I recall Reagent grade is 99% pure (198 proof) and denatured has
something added to it to make it poisonous, not water, but I do not recal
what, most likely a benzne related compound as they are soluble in
alcohol but very toxic. Water would not make it toxic and that was part
of the aim in denaturing alcohol.
>>>>On 1/7/00 6:17 AM so and so (DLancer7676@cs.com) said. (And I quote:)
>In a message dated 1/7/00 12:32:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, firstname.lastname@example.org
><< reagent grade as being pure and
> denatured alcohol as having water added to it. >>
>Not sure, but when I was a Pharmacy Intern in a Hospital Pharmacy we used to
>use 5 gallon carboys of pure 190 proof grain alcohol in prescriptions. A
>possible source if it's the same thing?? (Nope--never drank any of it--it
>was dyed blue to keep that from happening!!! LOL)
Keep your top down and your chin up.
Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Ask a question and you're a fool for three minutes; do not ask a
question and you're a fool for the rest of your life.