lucas rotors

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: lucas rotors
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 01:08:52 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
this was passed on to me at the pocono vintage races last year by a formula
ford driver in response to my experiencing trouble with a customer's race
morgan(eng. ford 1500cc with lucas centrifugal advance dist.).

he said and i thought it was a bit silly " we replace the rotor after each
run".   asked why and got a straight answer.  rotors are burning through
under the contact arm where the rotor was the thinnest(path of least
resistance) right through to the dist. shaft.  so we took my dremel saw and
disected the rotor from the morgan.  i was suprised!  it had a tiny pin hole
burned through it.   some rotors have a rivet that apears to retain the
contact arm and some are cast to the rotor.  both types had lucas cast on
the rotor.  the rivet type burn through quite easily.   the rivet is closer
to the dist. shaft in depth of hole it ocupies.

granted he has a msd ignition system.  but a rotor should not last 1/2 an
hour and need throwing away.
also noted was a sloppy fit with some rotors and others were so hard to push
on it seemed as they were the wrong part.  all were same part number and
looked identical.  possibly where lucas is concerned the molds wearing out?
i do not know.

just thought i would pass that on as an item to look into if you are running
either a hot coil or any type of electronic ignition using the points as the
trigger.

food for thought
chuck