Re: LBC Starting problems

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LBC Starting problems
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:13:29 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Dear List:

What is the defintive reason for difficult cold starting of an LBC?  On the
one hand, several folks have been saying that the thickness of the oil at
low temperatures is to blame, as it prevents the starter motor from turning
the crankshaft at a rapid rate.  Some address this by placing a heat source
near the pan.

On the other hand, more plausible to me is the explanation that the ability
of cold air to keep the fuel vaporized is severly diminshed.  Someone
indicated that the petrol would tend to condense on the inside of the intake
manifold, before getting near the cylinder.  Thus a solution (possibly)
would be to heat the intake manifold, or (more likely, and more expensive)
fit a weber carb setup, which I am told squirts extra fuel vigorously
through the manifold when the accelerator is pumped.

Since you (Frank) have a weber available, that would be my first try.
Didn't your daughter like the weber best anyway?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite