Re: Hot Catalyst

To: ckotting@iwaynet.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hot Catalyst
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:29:43 EST
In a message dated 1/19/00 10:13:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ckotting@iwaynet.net writes:

<< Too lean makes the >>engine<< run hotter, but too rich makes the
 catalytic converter run hotter.  A CatCon works by "burning"
 (technically, oxidizing) unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream, by
 passing them through a hot catalytic matrix.  The richer the fuel, the
 more unburned hydrocarbons, the more burning goes on in the catylist,
 the hotter the CatCon gets. >>

Thanks for the info.  Last year we replaced the engine in the truck our SCCA
region owns and the carb was set too lean.  When they started it, the exh.
manifold was glowing hot.  Reset the carb richer and it was fixed.  I can see
how the rich mix could cause a cat (I hate that term) converter to overheat.
That's why they have those heat shields so you don't set grass on fire.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport