Starting problem solved

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting problem solved
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:47:08 -0500
Many thanks to all who made some great suggestions.
Thanks to you guys with the "off the wall" ideas too.
And a special thanks to Peter C as he solved the problem.

The problem was that the A$$ hole dipstick dumb SOB who wired the car
(yours truly) never did understand why or how to wire a ballast resisted
coil.
I had it wired so the coil had 7 volts (resisted) all the time.
Peter mentioned something to me and my brain finally engaged.
I removed the NOD Lucas ballast resistor and coil, installed a good used
coil with no resistor. Maybe now that the coil will have a full 12
volts, it will fire when cold.
Peter also explained that the coil should have a hot lead coming from
the solenoid (crank lead) so before I changed the resisted coil I ran a
lead from the solenoid to the coil before the resistor, this worked but
the stater would not disengage, it kept on spinning. Back feeding the
starter thru the coil.
Short of a different solenoid, I opted to just put a regualr coil in it.
I'll know more tomorrow morning. 6-8" of snow expected too.
I wonder how she will do driving on the snow?
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ