Re: what a crowd! (Obscure LBC content)

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: what a crowd! (Obscure LBC content)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:35:01 EST
>CHUCK WROTE:   man this is a tough room to play!  no respect i get no
respect at  >all.  take my wife , please!  the other day there were three
guys walking down the
>street one was a.........................
>always wanted to be a stand up comedian but thought it was too demanding on
>the vertical side of reality, and there is no real calling for a sit down
>comedian!

    Talk about a tough room to play... back in the  late 1930's, in a time
when gulliability was a sign that most everyone was still basically honest,
my grandfather's brother-in-law played the character of a radio
ventriloquist's dummy on a WOR radio show. He didn't have a speaking part as
the ventriloquist, he was only the dummy. To liven things up, he said,  he
never  moved his lips when reading his lines, which made it very tough on the
guy playing the part of the ventriloquist, who was really into the part, and
actually silently moved his lips in synch with Uncle Eddie's parts. Eddie, on
the other hand, would throw the guy off by occassionally ad libbing, or
silently mouthing obscenities while the other guy was doing his lines....LBC
content? After the war, Uncle Eddie sold LBCs in Manhattan.