Re: Glowing Catalyst

To: <Thecarguru@aol.com>, "Spridget Mail List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Glowing Catalyst
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:11:31 -0800
Thanks for the great tips.  Here's a little more info.  This car doesn't
seem to have the horsepower the last 1500 Midget I had did, but that one had
higher compression pistons in it.  This one appears to be an original engine
in a California car, so it would have the really low compression engine.
When I left the shop, the idle speed was about 900-1000 RPM, but now has
dropped to below 500 RPM.  It misses and bucks subtly at steady speed
cruising in the 2500 RPM range, like during in-town driving.  Disconnecting
the EGR valve improved this but didn't cure it.  Advancing the timing seemed
to make the Cat run cooler, but still way hotter than it seems like it
should.  I'm parking it until I can look into this more.  Seems like the
summary of advise has been:
Check exhaust valve clearance
Check canister vacuum leaks
Check mixture (again)--I have a colortune, but have never used it.  Looks
like this might be a good time to learn.
If these still fail to bring about cooler exhaust, gut the converter.
David Riker
74 Midget
78 Midget
63 Falcon