Tyres - I was wrong

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Tyres - I was wrong
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:42:31 EST
List,

I confess to giving duff advice and getting mixed up with terminology (had to
look up the real answer in a book).

Buffing and shaving is the same thing.  Scrubbing is what I said buffing was
(below).

Daniel1312

The idea behind shaving tyres is not that a reduced tread increases traction
because a full tread flexes though that it is a factor.  It is rather that
the tread edges by flexing overheat and traction and tyre life (even for
racing) is reduced.  By shaving the tread depth down the tyre works within
its effective range.

I have not heard that racing slicks get shaved but rather that they get
buffed to remove the shiney surface finish left after manufacture.

A lot of folk used the terms buffing and shaving meaning the same thing when
they are 2 different things - at least in the Uk.

Daniel1312