More "Progress" on Rough Idle

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: More "Progress" on Rough Idle
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:04:51 -0600
Hello Gang,

More news.  Another learning in the "doh" category.  If you service the
distributor and put the plastic washer in before the low tension lead from
the coil and the condensor contact - the car will turn over all day and
never start.  So I put it in right and got it to start, but since it was
10pm I didn't have time to do further testing on the idle.

However, here's the other news.  I still had rough idle (but much better
than before) after doing the carb service.  What could it be?  Popped off
the distributor to check points.  Not too bad in the pitted/burned
category, but the gap had changed to less than .010 rather than the .016 it
should be.  Would that cause a terrible idle?

I picked up a few tune up parts and changed and gapped the points, and
changed the condensor, distributor cap, rotor and spark plug wires.

If the bad gap on the points was the cause of my terrible idle, but I got
it close messing with the carbs is there any way to predict how far off the
mixture will be now that the points are set right?  Will it predictably be
too lean or too rich or is there no relation?

I'll keep the list posted when I get a chance to warm it up and test it.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Philip
1974 Damask Red Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos
1960 BRG Bugeye Sprite - First up for restoration
1973 Damask Red Midget - Project car for sale