Re: MkIII update

To: Bkitterer@aol.com
Subject: Re: MkIII update
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:32:55 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Bkitterer@aol.com wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Well it has been several months since the Mk III came out of the trailer and
> progress is slow.  Have a couple of questions then will give an update for
> those interested.
>
> The engine that we are building up for this car is a 12CD and is newer than
> any of our other engines.  Question one: the rods have self locking nuts and
> the bolts for the mains are just torqued down, there are no locking tabs on
> any of these bolts or nuts.  Is this the way the later engines were done?

Yes, but use new nylocks, don't even think of using the old ones.

> This was an air pump engine and the head has "air injection" holes.  Can we
> just plug these holes with some appropriate threaded plug?  Should a sealer
> be used and if so what kind?

I use a 7/16 alan head set screw, it looks much nicer then a big bolt
sticking out. I never used a sealer and never had one come loose.

> Now to the update.  About 98% of the parts are cataloged and entered in a
> database.  Parts that need re-chroming are sorted and waiting to go to the
> plater.  Likewise the aluminum parts that need polishing and re-anodized are
> sorted.  The 5-speed and adapter has been prefitted on the engine and that
> assembly has been pre-fitted in the car.  We did have to bend the heater duct
> a little and still have to pry bar it in the last 1/32 of an inch.  Will bend
> the duct a little more before painting.  Rivergate's instructions have you
> mount their two part rear transminssion mount prior to installation.  This
> makes it very hard to get the mounting bolts installed.  We are currently
> planning on leaving one half in the car and the other half on the
> transmission.  We have to talk to Rivergate about doing it this way.

I cut a 5" square hole in the floor of the tranny area, this makes the
mount and speedo cable a piece of cake to get to. Later RB Midgets have
this hole from the factory. Something to consider.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ