Re: Faulty fuel readings

To: John Neal <John.Neal@seagatesoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Faulty fuel readings
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:38:10 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi John,

I would say it's gremlins,  I was shoot'n around here for years.  Then the
animal rights people of CA got after  me and now they have just taken over.

Seriously though,  I would look at you sender first.  They are typically worn or
intermittent.  Next check the wires and connection as any one of them can cause
this to happen.  If I remember right a short will cause the gauge to read max so
look for rubs and metal touching.

The tank is 7 US gals.  It makes about 150 Miles before I would fill it up.
Unless you have some extensive engine mods then it's about a hundred miles.  Out
here in the West that can some times mean trouble as there are still places
where gas is a little limited or at least the stations are.

I'm still running an original gauge, there's not much to go wrong inside, but it
is possible for you to have a bad one.

Remember to use the standard safety practices when working around open gas
tanks.  I won't even work in the garage when I'm pulling one for fear of the
fumes exploding or over coming me.

Rick

--
52 MGTD,Sparky    74 MGB, B-tris    76 XJ12 Coupe, Jacque
60 Bugeye, Puddles      58 MGA Coupe, Ruby