Progress Report - Actual Progress

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Progress Report - Actual Progress
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 21:25:22 -0600
Hello Gang,

Another big thank you to all the kind souls on this list for advice given
on my erratic idle problem.

I think there is real progress to report!

Did two things today and one or both made a big difference:

Intake Manifold:

Took intake manifold off and sanded it down on a piece of glass to make
sure it was even.  Didn't get it perfect, but I figured this shouldn't need
brain surgery precision and it was much better than when I started.  Also
put on a new (second time in weeks) gasket and did NOT use the blue goop.
Also, treated Arioch to new manifold studs, spacer washers and brass nuts.

Result - no huge surge when I spray carb cleaner at the area where the
intake manifold meets the head.

Carburetors:

Replaced throttle shafts - well, at least on one side.  I hadn't felt any
wiggle there when I checked earlier, but when I took it out the front
carb's shaft was severely worn down.  I say I replaced only one, because
the other shaft I got from VB was not of the same length and I couldn't use
it.  Sheesh.  Anyway, the other shaft wasn't notched and worn down like the
other.

Put it all back together and I got a pretty even idle - no surging to 2500
and down to 500 or dieing!!!!

Remaining issues:
I can't get it to idle lower than 1500 no matter how far I turn the idle
screws.  Did I put something back together wrong when I replaced the shafts?

Loud tappets - at least it seems to be coming from under the valve cover.
Loud is just annoying, right?  Means they are a little loose?  I did adjust
them cold this last time.

Thanks for the help everyone.  It's almost back on the road!

Philip
1974 Damask Red Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos
1960 BRG Bugeye Sprite - First up for restoration
1973 Damask Red Midget - Project car for sale