Manifold question - Why YES there is LBC in this one

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Manifold question - Why YES there is LBC in this one
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:43:18 -0500
I am hoping to replace the manifold gasket in my 1500 Midget this
weekend. I am a little puzzled, and always have been, about the fastening
technique for the manifolds on this engine. The bottom ends are easy, the
exhaust bolts to the studs. The rest of the manifolds attachments are a
little arbritary. Under the dual intake runners are 2 studs that pass
through the manifold flange. But on either side the exhaust manifold has
no apparent fastener. On the top there are some studs that do not pass
through and manifold flange. Now in conjunction there are several
"butterflies" or "bowties" to be used for attaching the manifold.
According to Moss SPM-09 there are 4 "manifold clamps" of the short type
and 2 of the long type. I assume that the short ones all go on the top
and the long ones all go on the bottom. Is that right?? If it is correct
then the bottom sides of the intake manifold do not appear to have any
method of sealing the manifold to the gasket/head. Seems to me that this
would lead to a potential vaccuum leak.

Right now I have no clamps on the bottom and the intake is sealed but the
exhaust leaks and has probably fried the gasket. Hence the need to
replace.

BTW this Midget has headers and a Pierce manifold with a weber, but that
does not make the mounting points any different.

TIA

Larry

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu