fuel or fool, lines

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel or fool, lines
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:30:08 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
i know that the scca requires any coolant lines running through a cockpit to
be shielded.  either by an actual purpose built baffle, or aeroquip braided
lines(considered shielded due to braided covering).  along the lines of fuel
lines through a cockpit.... in my sports racer i sit between 2  four gallon
bladder type fuel cells the left one is right next to my left knee.  when
plumbing my fuel system i employed the assistance of the tech inspector to
assist me in the interpertation of the rules about cockpits and routing fuel
lines.  it was explained to me that no rubber hoses (neopreme reinforced or
not) were going to be allowed in my case or any other!  i was considering
aeroquip plumbing but it was not period correct for the restoration of the
car and really expensive.  i opted to run steel tubing(fuel/brake line
type).  it was explained that a "hard plumbed " fuel system was going to
meet their inspections requirements in my case.  the car has a steel tube
chassis aluminum floor and rocker panels and doors, fiberglass nose section
and tail section.  there is no interior of any sort to divide the car's
interior from the exterior.  so what to do ?  i hard plumbed it from the
tanks to both fuel pumps and joined both pumps with a "t" fitting running up
to the carb.  a short regular fuel hose was used to absorb vibration going
from tubing to carb.  but it was covered with a fire proof protective
covering to provide protection fron heat and fire.  in an 800 lb car there
are not many places to hide stuff and even less to run plumbing.  it uses a
spridget cross flow rad up front and coolant runs forward and back in
paralell tubes on far pass. side of cockpit. it is mid engine.  talk about
interpertation of the rules!
safe? i drive it.  fun, yup!  gonna survive if i get involved in an
incident?  hmmmmm?  well at least i'm not worried about fire!
chuck.