Re: Copyright

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Copyright
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 18:55:14 -0500
Larry -

If you want to go there (I'm not a lawyer, but I've worked with them every
day for the past 17 years):

It could be argued that if the archive existed when you subscribed (or
first posted) to the list, and you knew about it, you gave tacit approval
to the archiving by posting.

It could even be argued that you gave tacit approval, whether or not you
knew about the archive initially, by posting AFTER you knew about the
archive's existance, and that approval could be assumed to be retroactive
to day 1, if you didn't explicitly protest.

On the other hand, anyone who plans on making a profit from your words, who
actually counted on an argument like that to protect them from legal
action, well...

Now, back to your regularly scheduled reality.

At 06:06 PM 2/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
>This brings up an interesting question concerning the archive. I do not
>remeber stating that my words could be reproduced there, unless it was in
>the signup info and I do not recall seeing it there. I know that my words
>are reproduced on every list members computer but I gave implicit
>permission for that by submitting a post to the list, or contributing to
>a thread (hey if he's gonna use my name I'm gonna use that term). Not
>that I have any personal objection to the archive its just that I gave no
>permission for it to include my postings. I don't care, but somebody that
>writes a lengthy treatise on, say replacing the kingpins on a 60 Sprite
>and how that differs from a 78 Midget might someday want to publish info
>that and I can get it for free from the archive. So if we are gonna pound
>this nail - let's pound it.
>
>Is my posting to the list a free representation for anyone to reuse the
>words with out permission??
>
>Don't care - just wondered.
>
>Larry
>Not a copyright lawyer and don't want to be one either.

>>List,
>>
>>My understanding of copyright is that the author holds copyright first and
>>anyone else including the BBS, this list or whatever holds copyright
>>second.
>>If someone has written something which appears on the BBS, this list or
>>wherever it cannot be reproduced somewhere else without the permission of
>>the
>>the writer and the first publisher.
>>
>>The difficult part is proving that you originated the words in the first
>>place and even in UK magazines there are some writers that simply cut and
>>paste from technical books to produce what amounts to technical worded crap.
>>
>>The other difficult part is the area of law that allows samples and quotes
>>and I think that the users of the list have often quoted from David
Vizard's