Was NEW AHCUSA, now copyrights

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Was NEW AHCUSA, now copyrights
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:53:09 -0800
All,

    You don't get a copyright simply because you post, say, or write
something original, no matter how valuable it may be.  Copyrights in a
particular work must be applied for, and when the copyright term has
expired, a renewal must be applied for and paid for.  Case in point:
"It's a wonderful life", the movie  that you see every Christmas on
every station.  The original studio copyright holder (MGM, RKO?) let it
expire and did not renew.  Not renewing the copyright puts it into the
domain of public use.  It can be re-broadcast ad infinitum now without
royalty fees to or permission of the original copyright holder before
performance.

    Assume that anything that you put on the web is public domain unless
you specifically say that the work is copyrighted, or it is part of a
copyrighted website.  Simply saying that they work is copyrighted, while
a copyright is being applied for, is usually deemed sufficient for
protection.  If I put a tip on the list or an uncopyrighted website for
how to get 400HP out of a stock 1275 using only Lucas wiring and wing
nuts, it is up for grabs and anyone can use it in a book or commercial
publication without giving me any credit at all.  You must state that it
is a copyrighted work and include the copyright date or include the
copyright symbol and the date of the copyright.  As an example closer to
home, Vizard's book and Horler's also are copyrighted.  I can quote from
them in a public forum/ fair use setting, but I can't pass their work
off as my own without giving them credit, or perhaps royalties, for its
use.

    So while someone else using your words without giving you credit,
praise or money may be despicable, its not illegal unless the work they
took it from was copyrighted. You all wanted to know, so I told ya...

Steve.
--
Steve McGee

 Life is unpredictable.  Eat dessert first.