parts washers

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: parts washers
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 07:45:18 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
along the lines of parts washers i recalled this stuff after my 2 or 3 hour
serious night's rest.

i own a safety kleen parts washer.  it is not their familiar red on top of a
barell type.  allow me to explain.  my machine by their terms is a "C.O.M."
customer owned machine.  it is gray with a blue stripe not red with white
trim as most people are familiar with.  it is a slightly rectangular sized
metal tank with a steel lift up lid.  makes an extra work space when closed.
and it stands with 4 legs and a lower shelf.  it has a 15 gallon capacity.
the reason i mention this is after carefully weighing out other inexpensive
units and renting a parts washer i found it cheaper to buy my machine
outright and have it sreviced when i need it to be.

now here is where you need to pay attention!  after my initial purchase i
was "told" by my then delivery person i had to exchange the solution evry 6
months even if i never used it due to EPA rules for tracking controlled
chemicals in the field.  ok i bought that information.  and evry 6 months
bought a new container  of fresh solvent and returned the stuff i had in the
machine.   for a number of years this went on.  then i was idle for a number
of years and decided this was just too much for me to spend for "nothing
going on here" and aranged for my driver to empty their solvent and not
refill my machine.  it made no sense to pay for what i was not using right?

along comes a couple of years later and a new project and the need for hours
of scrubbing pleasure on filthy 2 stroke saab parts arose.  so i had a buddy
who was working at a garage and i asked him to get me a delivery from safety
kleen so i could use my parts washer again.  the driver delivers(new guy) it
to my house and i say" see you in 6 months for a new container of solvent".
the driver sez" when ever".  i ask him about the "EPA's" requirement to
cycle the solvent in the field?  i get told he never has ever heard of such
a law or corperate rule!  now since then i have not called safety kleen to
se if this is a rule, law or the old driver was creating a return business
for some sort of comission based on a scam he had set up.  i figured i would
just let alone untill i needed fresh solution.  wich i have done.  actually,
it was swapped a couple of times with spare drums at my old job. but what i
am cautioning about is the posibility that you may encounter this if you
choose to have solvents delivered by a company the services these machines
and you might want to call the home office to see what the laws or corperate
rules state in reguards to  the fluid you are using and any actual time
limits of "in field " use .

1 more item,  safety kleen reconditions those neat red barell top machines
from time to time and sells them to the public.   you need to call your
local distributor to see if or when any reconditioned units ever become
available for sale.  the reason i sugest this to a hobbyist is this:
serviceability of the unit after you buy it.  safety kleen is a national
chain.  i do not know if they are a international company but are big here
in the US. if the pump fails you can get parts! you will not get parts for
the inexpensive ones seen in the cheap tools fliers.   there are a couple of
other companys out there in the parts washer /solvent field but i can not
recall their names as of this writing.   stop at the local gas station or
garage and ask what company they lease their machine from locally and who
delivers their solvent.   do a bit of home work in your specific aerea.  if
you spend a little more time than just tinkering around with 1 car that you
own this just might be worth your time and investment, it has paidfor itself
over and over in my personal situation.

chuck.
some time we will discuss gas welding equiptment, buy or rent the tanks
locally.  and buying used tanks and the posibilitys of being rejected when
you go to have your new(used) tanksfilled or exchanged.
the used equiptment industry is just as big as the new equiptment industry.
shop and save! just like the grocery store!