RE: Double Bearing hubs for Spridgets - anyone using them?

To: "Mike & Kerry Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Subject: RE: Double Bearing hubs for Spridgets - anyone using them?
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:50:38 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
For the last 25 years of road racing here in the US, I always used double
bearing hubs and never had a failure such as you had with your car. The
first hubs that I remember came from Joe Huffaker's shop in the early to mid
seventies. I first ran a competition Spridget in 1974, and while retired as
an active driver I continue to assist friends with their cars today. Due to
our desire for some pretty tight tolerances we now have a shop make our own
hubs

I think your problem is merely a spring placement issue. Try these two
suggestions:

1. If the offending spring is the upper spring, try using the spring from
the opposite side. The offset may allow you enough clearance with the hubs.
2. If you can't find the right combination of spring placement, drill a new
attachment hole in the brake shoes that will allow the clearance.

As you have already found the springs cannot contact the hubs. Once that
clearance is there, they are pretty reliable.

Tom Speed
Retired Spridget Racer
'76 MG Midget (Project car for my son)
Vintage Stock Car