Re: brake fluid change

To: WRROOPE@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake fluid change
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 13:28:26 EST
In a message dated 02/20/2000 11:04:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
WRROOPE@aol.com writes:

<< I'm getting ready to change the brake hoses on my 74 Midget. What is the
best
 wat to drain the old brake fluid as it needs to be changed also? Are there
 any surprises I should expect? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just open the bleed screws and pump away.  The old fluid will come out.  Then
change the hoses, then when you refill, bleed from the longest run first and
work your way back to the shortest run.  That is usually left rear, right
rear, right front, left front.  (The left rear is a longer run than the right
rear because the flex hose in the rear connects to the right side of the
diff.)

Flush the old fluid out with a few additional squirts as you bleed each wheel.

If your car has the pressure warning switch, this method of bleeding will
knock the valve to one side or the other.  To re-center the switch, turn the
ignition on and bleed the right front until the brake light on the dash goes
out.  If it doesn't go out in one pump, close the right front and do the same
on the left front.  If you don't have a PWS, nevermind.

BTW, what brake fluid are you planning on using?  (Boy I'm in trouble now!)

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport