Re: back to the suspension again

To: "Robert Duquette" <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: back to the suspension again
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:34:01 -0800
Robert,

The problem with the inner fulcrum pins is probably not unusual, especially
in your type of climate. I have had a lot of success freeing frozen metal
to metal by using Liquid Wrench. I would definately give a good penetrant
some time to do the work for you before you do much hammering. If I
remenber correctly the rubber is going to work against you (hammering) too,
if they're really stuck. As an aid to freeing them, try getting a hold of
the pin with some vice grips. Try to turn them if you can clear the tab
washer from the frame.

Good luck.

Gerard

At 6:55 PM -0500 2/19/00, Robert Duquette wrote:
>I'm back!
>
>I had a few more minutes and cleaned off a few parts and looked at them more
>carefully.
>
>This results in questions, of course.
>
>The kingpin bushings do not appear to be worn, nor does the kingpin.  Almost
>all the wear seemed to be in the fulcrum pin and bushings at the outer a-arm
>( where the bottom of the king pin connects ).  How much play is allowable
>between the king pin and the bushings?  There is a bit.  It is not tight,
>but the movement is 'almost' non-existant.  Should there be 'no play'?
>
>I haven't gotten around to removing the bearings, but I most definately did
>not need a puller to remove the hub.  I plan to order new bearings, but
>wondered whether it was normal for the hub assembly to just 'slide off'
>after getting that cotter pin out and removing the castellated nut.
>
>I have started taking the second assembly off, and you guessed it, I got
>grease on my parka again.  Doh!  I took the spring off in the shortcut
>manner.  Not a problem!  Of course I substituted a new problem in place of
>it.  The inner fulcrum pins aren't coming out very easily ( as in 'not at
>all' yet ).  It kinda seems that the sleeves are stuck to the pins???
>There's not much wind-up room there for hammering?
>
>My coil springs differ in height by approx. a half an inch.
>
>Robert Duquette
>Ottawa ON Canada
>http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette
>RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca