Re: A arms and sway bars

To: BCAH@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A arms and sway bars
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:19:47 -0500
When I bought a swaybar for my first spridget years ago, the kit came with
a cardboard template for the three holes to be drilled in the a-arms for
the swaybar mounting bracket in case the a-arm wasn't pre-drilled. (it
wasn't). Like everything else related to the cars, I saved it and will be
glad to mail it to you if you send me your address. I strongly agree with
the previous recommendations to back up the holes with a small plate (don't
use washers). The thicker the bar, the more stress placed on all the
mounts. When I had the 7/8 " bar on my ' 67 Midget vintage race car, I once
pulled the bolts right out of the chassis. I have since gone to a smaller
(9/16 ") bar and welded plates on the bottom of the frame. The stock
triangular backets that  mount the end of the bar to the a-arm with a
dog-bone connector also are prone to bending with the stresses genereated
by aggresive driving. Of course, aggressive driving on the track will
impart more stresses than street aggressive driving. In any application,
over- engineering is my preference when it comes to my safety. My race car
has the ends of the sway bar connected via rod ends to a bolt through the
a-arm.

>> Has anyone put a front sway bar on a Bugeye ,---if so what brand and
size? My
>> A arms will have to be drilled to mount it,---------will this weaken them ?
>>    Bob C

Bob Spruck