wire wheel flats!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: wire wheel flats!
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:14:40 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
if the rim strip is not doing it's job look for loose spokes where the
nipple is loose rubbing, chafing or pinching  the rim strip and tube.  rust
can be a culprit too, small scale of flakes causing a rub through.  and if a
spoke is protruding past the end of a nipple showing threads, that will
without fail cause a puncture.  BUT a leading cause of tube failures is
wrong sized tubes being used in a tire.  if a tube is too large it bunches
up and will pinch itself then rub through at the pinch.  a too small tube
can tear of or rupture at the valve where it is vulcanised to the main case
of the tube!  evry one seems to think all tubes are the same!  not so!  find
a very knowledgeable local tire store and confer with them as ti coorrect
type of tube and a bolt in valve stem or a rubber type standard type of
valve stem better suits your aplication?  and with all tube type
instalations.....preinflate the tube and check it for perforations BEFORE
you assemble the wheel!  i have seen numerous defective tubes, razor cut
from opening a carton of them, pin holes from improper protection during
shipment and also   the number 1 reason tubes leak..........disgruntled
employees (in manufacturing of mounting!)

chuck.
be very carefull about quality of product not price!  do not ask me about a
front flat on my harley during rush hour on interstate on way home trusting
taiwan tubes local shop sold me that literally split what looked like a seam
(poor quality).  wife drove my van out to rescue me and i had to lift it up
into back of van front wheel then rear wheel while wife steadyed it up
inside van.  it was not a very good day!(my aching back!)