RE: lead work

To: "'Michael Lupynec'" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Subject: RE: lead work
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:04:34 -0700
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
  Hi all,
I thought I would jump in on this one. I am using lead on my Bugeye. I
bought the intermediate lead kit from the Eastwood Co. It is about $80 or
so. You get six sticks of lead, four maple wood paddles (half round and
flat) solder paste, one each half round and flat English body files with
handles, and a large tin of tallow to keep the solder from sticking to the
wooden paddles (spreaders). You also get a nice video that shows the whole
process from start to Finnish. Before buying this kit I had never tried
"Lead loading" It is really not that difficult. And the results are
stunning. As far as the health risks are concerned they are very manageable.
I wear latex gloves and a activated carbon dust mask. When filing the solder
with the English body files the result is large chips of lead not dust.
I always sweep it up promptly. The Finnish of the lead after filing is
fantastic and needs almost no sanding. Try it you will be very pleased IMHO.

Mark Hanna
AN5