Re: FW: Travels

To: "Elliott, Patrick" <patrick.elliott@attws.com>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Travels
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 09:42:35 -0500
Hello Patrick,

I live in Michigan about 100 miles north of Detroit in a little tourist trap
Bavarian town called "Frankenmuth".  I held off on answering your post in the
hopes that someone from Detroit could provide you with a better answer as to
what to visit in the Detroit area.

Frankenmuth is worth a visit if you have the time, but is usually more
appreciated by the women - lots of shops selling gew-gaws, wool sweaters, fudge
and candy, wood carvings - the usual tourist stuff with a Bavarian flavor.  We
also have a couple of restaurants famous for their chicken dinners and German
food as well as the world's largest Christmas store - half a million square feet
of Christmas stuff.

I can't think of much in the Detroit area that is LBC related.  You have to
remember that this is the home of Detroit Iron and there wasn't much interest in
anything foreign back in the 50's and 60's.  I've lived in Michigan since 1992
and have seen exactly two(2) LBC's on the road - one Midget and one Bugeye.  And
my job requires about 30,000 miles a year on the road, so it's not like I don't
get around :-).

The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village are definitely worth a visit.  Old
Henry was an inveterate collector and they have a huge collection of cars,
trucks, farm machinery, locomotives, some airplanes, etc., etc.  Henry even went
so far as to do things like buy Edison's complete laboratory (building and all)
and ship it from New Jersey to Dearborn (sorry Frank) and set it up in the
museum.

In Novi, just a couple of miles from Livonia, is the "Motorsports Hall of
Fame".  It is supposed to be the automotive equivalent of baseball's
Cooperstown.  I haven't visited it yet so I can't give you any personal
information.  From what I have read though, I would think it is worth a visit.

Rick
'59 Sprite