Re: Ruminations of an old F-rt

To: woodrat <woodrat@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: Ruminations of an old F-rt
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 17:17:23 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
woodrat wrote:
> So does anyone know if BMC had an
> early hook up with a Detriot manufacturer back then?  My impression was that
> that sort of multi dealership didnt happen till many years later.

BMC was sold at dealerships alongside US iron. No dealer could have
survived on BMC alone. I grew up in this town and clearly remeber the
local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer selling Rootes (Hillman, Sunbeam, etc)
But by then Roote may have already been part of Chrysler.
I know the Buick dealer also sold Triumphs, I have a friend with the
original sticker on his TR4 that says Lester-Glen Buick.
The Pontiac dealer sold BMC (later BL cars because I almost laned a job
as "parts Manager" with them but their reason for not hiring me was I
was too young! (18 at the time) Hey can I go after them for age
discrimination?
And then again I bought my new S_itfire from a Volvo dealer in 1973.
A sign still hangs over a Ford dealer in Point Pleasant, NJ saying
Austin MG, it's been there for as long as I can remember. And they will
not sell the sign, I asked.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ