Re: Inverter/Dolly and Rollover Frame

To: "Robert Duquette" <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Inverter/Dolly and Rollover Frame
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 22:48:28 -0800
Robert,

Your setup on the first link is exactly the design I used to do my cars.
They work very well and it's fairly simple to change over the dolly for
either the upright or inverted version. I used the same technique to flip
the car except I used a 2x6 beam spanning my two garage walls to support
the rear pivot and a verticle 4x4 post for the front pivot. I used a
come-along dropped from my ceiling to lift the car by placing a pipe in the
tranny tunnel and attaching the come-along to it at the shifter opening.
You need to raise the car high enough to clear the floor as it flips over.
I think I set the pivots between 30 and 36 inches. It doesn't sound like
much but it's a little scary having the car that high when you see it. I
think I used some upside-down 5 gallon bucket to support the car the first
18" as it was going up. It's possible for one person to flip the car over
(completely stripped), but I recommend, for safety sake you have a second
person there too. One side is heavier than the other on the pivot and you
wouldn't want to lose control of it while it's going over.

The second design was by Ray Gibbons who unfortunately passed away while on
Healey list, before there was a Spridget list. David Cambell
(DLancer7676@cs.com) reproduced the drawings he got from Ray and submitted
the drawings and photos to the list a few months back. This design is also
posted on my web site in the Tech tips section.

At 9:03 PM -0500 3/29/00, Robert Duquette wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I was searching for a graphic of what that front area is supposed to look
>like today to show people from work what should be there instead of holes
>and I found this site again.
>http://www.cybersnet.com/restore/rest2.htm
>
>I'm sure that the Porter DIY book will have instructions on how to support
>the car when the sills are off, but this guy's dolly idea seems to support
>it well.  His results certainly look nice.
>
>This other method doesn't seem as well suited to this particular task.
>http://ado13.com/flip/flipper.html
>
>So, ... to get a good thread going here ... what do you think?
>
>Robert Duquette
>( almost, but not quite, forgetting the reshell idea and tooling for minimal
>re-panelling ... for now.
>I'll be off the pot by Friday. )
>Ottawa ON Canada
>http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette