New List Member, with lots of Questions!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: New List Member, with lots of Questions!
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 01:36:10 -0400charset="Windows-1252"
Hi,

I've only been lurking on the list for a few days, normally I'd wait much
longer to get a feel for things, but as I've just purchased my first Sprite
I need some advice.

Introductions first:

I'm 28 years old, an ex-pat transplanted from Liverpool to Toronto, Canada,
and have been enthralled with big ol' American cars until 2 weeks ago.

Over my driving lifetime I've owned a '62 Ford Galaxie 500 2 Door, a '63
Impala Convertible, a '63 Chevy Biscayne Lowrider (!) [Flames, and all], and
a '64 Buick Wildcat Convertible.  This love affair with cubic inches and
chrome has been stalled with the increase in gas prices ... time to put the
Biscayne in storage!

A couple of weeks ago I spotted an ad in the local 'Buy & Sell' paper for a
'62 Sprite with a Bugeye clip.  Went to see it, and decided that I had to
have it on the spot.  The body is freshly restored and painted, new
interior, new tires, new exhaust.  All it need is a tune-up and some trim
work completed.

[Although it's not an authentic Bugeye, I like to think of it as having the
style and uniqueness of a Bugeye with the helpful addtion of a usable
trunk!]

In doing my rushed research on the car (and thinking back to friends
experiences with MG's and the like) I've come to expect a crash course on
roadside mechanics, hopefully I can count on some help from all of you!
After all, isn't it in your best interest to keep this Brit in a British
car?!

Okay, here's a bunch of questions to start:

1)  The bonnet on my car is a fibreglass replica, and the previous owner did
not have a bonnet latch/handle/brackets to use, so he used those damned
clips & posts that you see on street rods.  Where would I be able to find
the proper 'bugeye' bonnet handle assembly?

2)  Mirrors:  None on the car right now ... but I want them.  Do I go with
Fender or Door placement?  Where can I get the correct pieces?   Also, where
can I pick up a Rear View Mirror?

3)  Electrical:  I'll set the record straight, first.  I'm 28, I like loud
music, especially when I'm on a highway cruise, and as such I need a CD
player, and a decent set of speakers in the car!  I understand that due to
the 6 Volt, Pos. Ground Crazy-Assed Lucas Electrics I'm going to have one
helluva time accomplishing much more than AM/FM and a couple of tinny
speakers.  I've read a few account on the net of putting in an alternator
and switching to negative ground, but I was wondering if there is any way to
change it to a 12 Volt System?   Surely some of you have CD players in your
mk2 sprites?  How did you do it?  Speaker placement and sizes would be
helpful, too!  Subwoofer anyone?  :)

4) Replacement steering wheel:  The car presently has the original steering
wheel which, in my case, makes it difficult to make my knees feel
comfortable.  I want to replace it with something smaller, and wooden.  Any
suggestions for the easiest substitution.  (And yes, I am willing to
sell/trade the steering wheel.)

5) Replacement wheels:  The car also has the orginal wheels and hubcaps.  I
wish to replace these with Minilites, or something similar.  My budget is
low, so any suggestions for appropriate wheels would be appreciated.  (Also,
I am willing to sell/trade the wheels and hubcaps)

I'll leave the questions at that for now, I hope I haven't bored you to
sleep with the length of this message!  I'm just anxious to get the car on
the road, and any help will be greaty appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian Woodhouse
'62 Sprite (No Name Yet)