Re: Blue Cars, Cops & Other Colors

To: "Kent J. Miller" <Bushwacker4@prodigy.net>, "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blue Cars, Cops & Other Colors
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:43:39 -0600
Well, I have a P.S. to my story.  When I hit the Danburt CT police car and
totalled my blue MGA, I had no insurance.  Now those of you old enough to
remember may know that in Connecticut in the early 70's and before,
insurance was not required by law.  The kicker was that if you got into an
accident, you had to post a bond, or get insurance, and your license was
suspended until you showed proof of bond or insurance.  I got insurance.
Luckily, the 60 MGA did NO damage to the cop car (no surprise there) other
than a few scratches on the cop's bumper as it passed by my radiator on it's
way into the engine compartment.

A couple of years later, while driving my (also blue) 60 Midget in Bridgport
CT (finally with it's own plates), I was rear ended by another car at a red
light.  Fortunately there was very little damage to the Midget.  BUT, the
other driver appeared a bit flaky to me, so I decided to call the police to
make sure there was a police report filed so I would get action from his
insurance company.  Well, when the cop called in our respective
license/registrations, mine came back as SUSPENDED!  I was promptly arrested
for driving under suspension.  My girl friend had to drive the Midget (her
first experience with a stick shift) to get money to bail me out.  I had to
go to court and prove to the judge that my license had been reinstated
several years before.  Actually, a conversation with the DA before trial did
the trick.  But, I had to hitchhike for a few weeks until I got to court.

Mike