Re: How to get to Carlisle - from Canada

To: Martyn Ridley <ridleymj@bis.on.ca>
Subject: Re: How to get to Carlisle - from Canada
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 00:09:38 -0400
Cc: donpenpettitt@home.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Martyn Ridley wrote:

> wind and weave its way to Carlisle.  Two points of importance.  First is
> that there is a beer store just before you get to Carlisle so you can stock
> up - not that American beer is worth drinking - but that it is a pain in
> the rear to get in the town.  The second is only of interest if you like

All I can say about PA is buy your beer before you enter the state.  They
have really bizarre liquor laws.  See if you want beer you go to the beer
distributor.  Now if you want hard liquor go to the state store.  There is
one at the end of my fathers street, not that I have EVER seen it open.
If you try to buy beer in a bar, they will only sell you two (2) six packs
at one time.  So, buy 2, go put them on the curb and go back in for two more.
Repeat.
About 2 years ago when I was visiting my parents, my dad wanted me to get
the beer out of his trunk.  Guess what I found, 4 case of Miller Lite. The
really strange thing was one of the case had pull tabs.  I have not seen one
of these in the states since the early 70s.  God only knows where that case
came from.  So, buy your booze before you cross the border.  If space is
a problem throw out your SO's clothes.  Really she will not mind.

Bill Gilroy