Re: fan pulley shims?

To: "Jeffrey H. Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: fan pulley shims?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:01:21 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
hmmm, let me see here.  posibility that the piece which the pulley bolts to
has been pressed on too far  down the impeller shaft?  try using a puller
and draw it out equal to the amount which you have as a misalignment and
bolt evrything back together.   chances are that a slight misalignment will
not throw a belt, but you can fix this by drawing the piece for the mounting
of the pulley out to the correct spot.   shiming is not a good idea unless
you can make a shim that is the exact aerea of the mount surface.  if a
poorly constructed shim is generated you can have a pulley shatter at the
bolt circle(or just outside it) due to fatigue from improper suport of the
pulley(do not, i repete do not ask me why i know this, but it cost me a
radiator core!).  and this goes for the early cast pulley and the later
stamped steel one as well!

chuck.
been there , broke that! 26 years of autocrossing/street racing and
hillclimbing(scca solo1) has afforded me a lot of time to make mistakes and
even more time to fix my mistakes.(with the same car!)