Re: Wire

To: "Larry Cogan" <woodrat@spacey.net>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 11:01:33 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
in the past my quest for correct color wires to repair a harness has been
fruitless.  what I ended up doing was saving a few harness's from scraped
cars and taking what I needed from them to repair damaged or cut harness in
cars.   the only thing I did choose to do when doing this type of repair was
to cut open the harness wrap and cut back the damaged wire up where it would
be covered by the shielding to wrap of the main harness.  I always solder
the repair and use a double piece of heat shrink tubing to cover the
soldered aerea.  the second piece of heat shrink is just a paranoid
precaution I picked up a while ago.  found that soldering upside down under
dashes and such you sometimes get a single strand of wire that stands up and
becomes rigid as heck once soldered.  that strand sometimes will pierce a
single layer of heat shrink tubing, hence a second layer(sometimes you just
miss clipping the little sharp piece off).  after soldering just rewrap the
harness back up to where that wire was to come out and a repair that is
almost undetectable.   at least this way you do not have a million different
wrong colored wires all stuck together with crimp on wire connectors or
worse stuck to other wires using those pesky little scotch locks that come
in stereo installation kits.

just food for thought?
chuck