Re: Go hug your LBC (mostly LGC, not much LBC)

To: "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Go hug your LBC (mostly LGC, not much LBC)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:10:21 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
The water pump issue makes me laugh.  Hasn't anyone here ever worked on a TR
4?  I realize that its a Tri*mph, however someone here must remember how
difficult it is to replace the water pump AND the drive belt.  The stupid
crank pulley is millimeters away from the steering rack and there is
absolutely no room.  This is a job that only my best friend (who happens to
own said TR) could cajole me into helping with.  In the process we stuck
another drive belt in there (wired away from things) to keep from having to
ever do it again.  Anyway, having changed (on the same friend's 325ix) the
water pump and timing belt on the BMW, I would say that the long life of
these components well outweigh the PITA factor associated with getting to
them.

Also for those of you who think BMW owners must be rich, most 5-7 year old
American cars are cost FAR more than late '80's BMWs.  I doubt that my '85
535i would fetch more than $2500 at best (sad to think my Sprite is worth
more than my BMW), however it'll show most Mustangs (even current ones) a
thing or two around an autox course.  A very quick 4-door sedan for not much
money that has been supremely reliable for the 11 years and more than
250,000 miles that I have owned it.

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org
'64 A-H Sprite
'85 BMW 535i (Q-ship) 300,000+ miles
'85 Volvo 745T ('nuther Q-ship) 190,000 miles
'93 Honda Civic LX (gutless, came with wonderful wife)