Hall Effects was Re: to Peter C., dizzy number

To: soavero@yahoo.com, nosimport@mailbag.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Hall Effects was Re: to Peter C., dizzy number
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:48:47 EDT
>From what I can understand I think that a Hall effects pulse generator
electronic ignition system will always generate the same type of waveform and
that either there is signal and it works, or with a Petronix pickup and bad
distributor bearings the signal is weak or non-existant due to no signal
being created.  In other words the airgap is not broken by the disc-device on
a pertronix in the aforementioned circumstance.  With the magnetronic
system/pickup the airgap is always broken even with bad distributor bearings.
 It seems to be the case that as long as the air IS broken rather than
whether the disc is central to the airgap it works.  With the pertronix
mis-alignment means the air gap is not broken with the Lumenition mis
alignment doesn't make a lot of difference.

The point about analogue or digital Hall effects pulse generator does not I
think, come into play.  Again, from what I can understand the signal from the
Hall effects pulse generator can be modified by either analogue or digital
methods but the 'sensor' which is in effect the  actual hall effects pulse
generator is neither analog or digital as such.

Possibly the other difference is whether the dwell angle is set by the disc
design or controlled electronically.  I think that both the Petronix and
Magnetronic have electronic control - being modern systems without funny
looking discs of the early Bosch/Chrysler/Ford stuff.  Maybe this was what
you meant Ron?

Does this sound correct?  I don't have a lot of reference material to draw
upon and the relevant sections of the Haynes 'Automobile electrical and
electronic systems' are not clear (at least to me) in drawing out the
differences and lack any detail whatsoever on either Petronix or Magnetronic
(Lumenition) systems.

Daniel1312

PS.  I wouldn't rush out and buy the Ben Watson book on ignition - I don't
think he really understands what he is writing about, failing to really deal
with the basics and is repetitious, did I say repetitious, repetitious, did I
say repetitious, repetitious, did I say repetitious, repetitious, did I say
repetitious.

In a message dated 28/04/00 19:19:14 GMT Daylight Time, soavero@yahoo.com