Re: Wiper problems

To: Swift Justice <samesq@pacbell.net>, Patrick Elliott <patrick.elliott@attws.com>
Subject: Re: Wiper problems
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 21:22:48 -0700
Cc: Spridget mail list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Steve,

If you removed the cover and pulled out the cable to test the motor, you
should be able to push the cable back and forth by hand. If you can't, one
of the wheel boxes may have worked a nut loose and jammed on the cable, or
perhaps the grease is dried up. The first is more likely given the cars
age.

The motor runs in one direction and cycles by the rotational motion of the
large gear crank. The wheel boxes are held together by two small nuts
clamping the two halves together and holding the cable aligned to a small
gear. If it starts to separate, it can jam the cable. You should be able to
fix it by finding the offending wheel box. Only trouble is, there are hard
to get at under that dash. See if you can jiggle the wipers to get it
aligned and then try to tighten the nuts.

Good luck.

Gerard

At 7:56 PM -0700 5/3/00, Swift Justice wrote:
>Having problems with the wipers on the '79, need to fix quickly before
>buyer comes to take it away.
>
>Motor turns freely (disconnected cable and checked - motor turns gear
>wheel freely.  My guess is that it must be the cable is jammed in the
>housing.  Any easy way to check or free it up?  I really don't want to
>take the dash apart to get at it at this stage of the game if I don't
>have to.
>
>Also, does the motor turn the gear in only one direction?  When I hit
>the switch it just turns in one direction.  I thought that the motor
>reversed to pull the cable back.  Any advice appreciated.
>
>Steve.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com