Re: Valve stem seals with head on?

To: Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: Valve stem seals with head on?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 00:33:23 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Glen Byrns wrote:
> Has anyone else used the tool JC Whitney has, or any other method,to remove
> the valve springs with the head on?  Of course the piston must be at the top
> of the stroke so you don't drop a valve into the cylinder

 I haven't seen this tool, but I have an alternative version of
the same tool that is cheap ($10) but requires an air compressor.

  Basically, it's a spark plug fitting with an air hose
attachment. Turn the engine over so both valves are closed,
put this in the cylinder, and clip on the air. The air pressure
holds the valve up.

  It's fast and works well if you have a compressor.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca