the self-healing healey

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: the self-healing healey
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 20:35:23 -0700
More on the Datsun 5 speed transmission:

Oddly enough, the synchro in second is suddenly better! Still notchy
on the way down, but like normal on the way up. I know that going up
is always smoother, but at least there is improvement. The tranny sat
for a long time dry, so maybe it will tend to get better (to a point)
with use. Possibly even better, the heavy truck-like shifting
disappeared after I poured several cc's of synthetic gearbox oil into
the the shift lever hole. Worked like a charm. Shifts are smoother
and it even tastes better!

Moral of the story:  Give it some time and some mileage.
--

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA