Re: Needed: PCV Valve and other advice

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, pauld@ekpc.com
Subject: Re: Needed: PCV Valve and other advice
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:52:21 -0700 (PDT)
Paul,

I've been fighting all these same exact problems with my rebuilt 1275 for the
last 6-months. I tried using 'aftermaket' PCV valves with no success. The only
thing that seemed to improve the problem was going to an orginal 1275 PCV
valve,
which I picked up at a local swap meet (it works differently from the new
ones).
The stock PCV cut my oil leakage by more than 50% out the rear main. If you
have
blow-by coming out the valve-cover cap, there is definitly too much crankcase
pressure, I actully had 'negative' pressure in my crankcase, and I still had
some leaking after high speed cruising. Mine also had a tendency to overheat.
You didn't state what the condition of the head was, or 'compression' on the
engine, has it been rebuilt recently?
I just tore my engine down again while I had it pulled for a 5-speed
conversion,
and found that I had a groove in cylinder #2 that was causing excessive
blow-by,
and that the hone job I did when I rebuilt the engine was not allowing the
rings
to break-in properly.  Also, it looked as if my head was not seating properly,
casuing a slight oil leak into cylinder # 2. I have now had the cylinders bored
20 over (new pistons and rings), had the head skimed, and checked, and the
block
deck checked for flatness. I also took a lot more time and care when
reassembling the rear main seal on the engine, and put a light 'smear' of
silicon sealer on the main seals to provide a better seal. I also installed the
Rivergate rear main seal kit.
I hope all this work will pay off, and eliminate the oil leak and overheating
problems. One thing for sure, it doesn't pay to take any short-cuts when
rebuilding these engines, you really get out only what you put into it.

Regards - Bryan Vandiver (59-bugeye)
San Jose, CA