Re: Rounded oil pan bolt

To: Michael Walter <mwalter@luminet.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rounded oil pan bolt
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:57:24 -0700 (PDT)
I hate to recommend this, but on my Lotus, I had to
deal with this, and I used a socket.  I put one on
that was just a little smaller than the round head,
and tapped it on GENTLY with a hammer.  Put on the
ratchet, off it came.  Then beat the plug out of the
socket in a vise.

--- Michael Walter <mwalter@luminet.net> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
>  Last weekend I was going to change the oil in my
> new (to me) 79 midget.
> Upon crawling under it, I discovered that the "once
> square" drain plug was
> now round. I tried vice grips. I tried a monkey
> wrench. I let it soak
> overnight with Liquid Wrench. I can't budge the damn
> thing. I don't want to
> do irrepairable damage, so I'm not going to go "bull
> in a china shop" on
> it. I don't want to put a torch that close to all
> that oil, etc.
>
> Any ideas I might try? I shudder at the thought of
> taking 'er to Champion
> Auto or Tires Plus for an oil change.

=====
Ron Soave
"I swear I found the key to the Universe in the engine of an old parked car." -
B. Springsteen