Re: more ## Re: Brake lines

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, mhanna@ball.com
Subject: Re: more ## Re: Brake lines
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:26:02 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Mark and Daniel,
        To clarify a bit. (but maybe it's only un-clear to me, for which I
apologize)

At 01:51 PM 5/12/2000 , Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:
>Mark,
>
>I think we call the brake line flares by different words over here.  All I
>know is that for one type of flare you put the pipe end through the flare
>once and for the other type twice.  You either get a concave or convex flare.
> Most Spridget stuff is convex (possibly this is what you call a bubble
>flare).
        Yes.... or a single flare. Different from the "standard American" flare.

> I think brake unions is what you call compression nuts.

        Unions is what we call them too. If you go into the typical parts store
(in the US) and say compression nuts, they'll likely start setting you up
with compression fittings. Don't get them! Compression fittings, in common
parlance, have the treaded union with a separate brass collar piece that
goes over the line providing a sort of seal like the flaring is doing, but
without flaring the tube. Do not use these for brakes! They're OK for gas.
Ask for the unions that will join the bubble flare lines.
        Mark, I know this doen't answer your questions directly, but it worries
me
that someone might consider using compression fittings on their brakes.
        There are sources for the fittings you need, I can help you there.
        Peter C