Re: Re: Gen Q about ignition timing

To: "Dick Davis" <x856@email.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Gen Q about ignition timing
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:20:16 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
From Dick Davis <x856 at email.com>
To: rob thomas <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>
Sent: 26 May 2000 02:14

Reading a 1957 copy of "Practical Motorist and Motor Cyclist" magazine on
the subject of Vac tuning...........

"To avoid over advance, retard the ignition till the needle shows a drop of
3/4 in. Hg. and tighten the clamp.  Then reset the carburettor to a normal
tickover and re-adjust the mixture control.  You now have an ignition
setting which takes into account the overall engine condition - a really
'individual' setting"

Over advance?  Not sure of the reasoning behind this but suspect that it
prevents the engine from finding aa RPM where the ignition fires too, early
such that the piston is still rising on the compression stroke when the
shockwave hits to push it back down. (Wild assed guess with a little merit?)

Other useful info:-
    Idle should be about 18=19 in HG
    Stab throttle.  Should drop to 0 then rise to 24-25.  If not, engine
poor
    Vac 16-17 and wavering slowly.  Air leak in intake system/weak mix
    Vac 15-18 and floating.  Too rich/float level too high/blocked
filter/punctured float.
    Regular beat with lower vac indication.  Burnt valve
    Vac low and needle steady.  ignition retarded
    Vac slightly low and needle tremoring.  Tappets mis adjusted
    Vac normal (19-19) but irregular kick.  Points/bob weights/plugs
    Vac normal but occasional drops.  Plugs or sticking valves.
    Vac high (19+) and irregular kick.  Over advanced/loose timing chain
tensioner (need A+ tensioner???)
    Short each plug.  Normal for 2 in. Hg. each
    Switch off fuel/ignition.  close throttle to idle.  Run starter.  Should
get steadyish at 15 in Hg.  If not, compressions uneven/head gasket gone.
    Setting mixture.  Go for max vacuum reading possible AFTER setting
points/timing/valve backlash etc.

Hope this helps

Rob Thomas
(some financial interest......<G>)