Suspected Fuel Starvation

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Suspected Fuel Starvation
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 19:36:07 -0600
Greetings Listers
Today I took my car out of the city for the first time since installing the
5 speed.  I was cruising in 5th at 4K rpm and it suddenly started to run
rough.  I put the clutch in and coasted for a few seconds.  The engine
continued to run perfectly at idle.  I let the clutch out and carried on as
though nothing was wrong.....for about 4-5 miles then a repeat performance.
 To cut the story short I made a 120 mile round trip frequently repeating
the coasting technique.

The only thing I can come up with is fuel starvation.  It acts just like
the fuel pump will not quite keep up with the demand and the coasting just
allows it to refill the float bowls.  If this is a fuel pump problem, I was
under the impression that the fuel pump was either working or dead.  No in
between.

Anybody have any ideas on this one?  If I have to replace the fuel pump is
there a better alternative than a stock replacement?

Thanks a lot.  Hope everybody is having a great weekend.
Dave
Calgary, Alberta
72 Midget