Re: 1275 timing cover

To: xirias@hol.gr, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1275 timing cover
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 06:41:16 EDT
In a message dated 5/31/2000 2:52:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xirias@hol.gr
writes:

<< The 1275cc engine in my Sprite (12V prefix) has no timing marks
 on its timing cover at all! They must have been sheared off at some
 point in its long history.

 So, I cannot time the engine.

 Anyone know of where I can get such a cover (used or new) with
 the breather and timing marks? >>

Evangelos:

The timing marks on the 1275 engine were fairly unusable anyway, unless you
have      VERY long arms, because they were placed on the BOTTOM of the
timing chain cover, i.e., the bottom of the engine.  Somewhere I saw an
article, in a book or magazine, instructing as to how to spot weld a
shop-crafted timing mark so that it was oriented ON TOP of the pulley and
could be seen from above where you could adjust the timing while watching the
mark with a light.

It would be easy to do once the indicator was made, since 0 degrees would be
TDC.  Perhaps someone on the list has done this and can tell us more about
how they did it.

--David C.