Re: Crusty The Midget

To: Terry Williams <t.williams@mrg.ca>
Subject: Re: Crusty The Midget
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 23:22:53 -0400
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Terry Williams wrote:
> The Midget went for it's safety - and failed. Miserably.

  Note that my first choice would be to actually repair all this
stuff, but if you are looking for a fast Canadian safety.

> RF kingpin

  Grease this RIGHT outside the test station. It'll pass.

> control arm bushings

  Might have to replace that, unsure how bad it is.

> leaky exhaust

  Muffler tape. Won't last for long, but long enough to pass
a safety. (a safety is sort of a watered down version of
an English MOT)

> trunk floor corrosion (didn't look THAT bad)

  The letter of the law is that corrosion is bad if
it's structurally dangerous, or gives holes into the
car. (or trunk)

  If it's structural, no easy fix. But if it's just holes,
fill them with undercoating, the kind you buy in a pail
at Canadian Tire and apply with a spatula.

  If it's bigger than that, find a sheet of steel and "glue"
that on with the undercoating.

  Failing that, just find a place that gives easier safeties. Be
*SURE* to mention that you aren't trying to sell the car, just
want to drive it yourself. They are a lot more likely to look
the other way if they are doing you a favour rather than helping
you screw somebody. And, although I don't know any offhand, there
are still places that give safeties sight unseen. Ask around.

> So, now what...well, I'm searchin' for a shell...somewhere out there is a
> relatively rust free (at least more rust free than what I've got) '77-esque
> Midget with no interior, engine, top, glass, that needs new rear spings,
> shocks all round......anyone? I'm willing to play fetch if I can find
> something in the north eastern US/eastern Canada?

  Where exactly are you located? There is a CB shell near me (Ottawa)
that is in great shape, in primer. The engine bay would need
a lot of modification to accept that big engine though.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca