Re: Final R&T data (was Re: AAA! RE: 1500 for 1275 swap

To: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Final R&T data (was Re: AAA! RE: 1500 for 1275 swap
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 22:36:37 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Ron Soave wrote:
> 1) The 76 Midget tested was a 55.5 HP 49 state
> version, not the California model (50 HP), but that is
> what's printed, so don't believe it Larry.  With 55.5
> HP, it weighed 1775 lb empty, top speed 83MPH@ 5100
> RPM (redline was 6000).  3.90 rear.  0- 60 in 15.5,
> 1/4 mile in 20.1 seconds.

  Just for some non-emissions fun, here is the Autotest
review from the same period. (UK based)

  The headline is "MG Midget 1500", the byline is "Smallest
British Leyland sports car given much more punch by
bigger engine. ..."

  Excerpts from the performance section:

  "The Midget 1500 is a genuine 100mph car, and this
represents a great advance on the 1275 which managed
only 94mph mean when tested in 1971."

  "All the Midget 1500 acceleration figures are far
superior to those of the 1275, whether from a
standing start or in any particular gear."

  Top speed, 101mph mean, 102mph best, at 6200rpm (which
the text mentions is actually 200rpm over redline)

  0-60 in 12.3, 1/4 mile in 18.5s at 72mph.

  If anyone cares to repeat this performance, I have
a few sets of UK spec carbs to sell. (seriously)

  Some people just can't get past the fact the
the engine is a Triumph, and bend their perceptions
around this. If you go on the spitfires
list you'll hear quite a different story.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca