Re: Sweet Sounds

To: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, "Kent J. Miller" <Bushwacker4@prodigy.net>, "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sweet Sounds
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 17:29:25 -0400
As I recall the Allison engine was only fitted to the early Mustangs, B
and C models. They lacked the performance of the Merlin. The P-51D, the
one everybody knows and loves, only had the Merlins fitted, but I beleive
they were manufactured here in the US. The D model is the one with the
bubble canopy. The earlier models had a canopy and a "backbone" not
unlike the Flying Tigers P41's. The Bubble was added for the C model I
beleive. Better visibliity - not unlike top down motoring in the Midget
(mandatory LBC content). There were also later model Mustangs and by the
time the G models were built in the early 50's they were known as F-51's.
The newly created Air Force had some idea about redesignating thet class
of aircraft as a "F"ighter, rather than a "P"ursuit aircraft.

But give me a P-38. I like the styling better. Also the first known prop
driven aircraft to best the sound barrier. Although who really knows what
was done with a an ME-262 on your tail? (and Yea I know Hitler wanted
them all to be bombers but few were actually used that way.)

Larry

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.