5-speed is in!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 5-speed is in!
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:11:24 -0700 (PDT)
I took the day off today and got the engine/tranny in the car.  I only
needed to bash the heater box a wee bit to get it in.  Bleeding the clutch
alone was a job and a half.  One problem was how high the tranny rides in
the tunnel.  The U-joint banged on the top of the tunnel as it turned.  A
little judicious prying and reshaping put it right.

First trip up on the freeway and tried all five gears.  NO MORE FIRST GEAR
WHINE!! Fifth was a joy as I motored alone at 70 mph.  Unfortunately, third
and second gear have a little noise on shifting and will need new syncros
this winter.  However, they should easily live through the summer and fall.

Nice kit Paul, I'm dying to finish rechecking all the fluids, recheck all
the bolts, clean up the disaster in my garage, put on the shifter cover and
hit the road tonight for a sunset cruise.

Chico here we come.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 Bugeye