Re: Advice on painting steel wheels

To: "Packy Coleman" <deadboy@hooked.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Advice on painting steel wheels
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:54:55 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
okie dokie,
you can expect some problems with rust reapearing in 6-12 months after sand
blasting/chemical stripping in the seam between center and outer rim if some
precautions are not followed.   since you are inclined to do spray can art i
am going to give you some wacky directions to follow which will be messy
andnot advisable by any health related industry.    use a labeled"sandable"
spray can primer(usually laquer based and fast drying).   take a old pie
tin(no holes in it) or margerine vynal container and spray the primer in it
untill you has emptied 1/8-1/4 of the spray can's contents into the chosen
container.  you will need a small (hobby type) paint brush and begin to hand
brush primer into the seam of the rim.  dip brush into primer and with out
dripping paint all over the rim carefully brush the paint into the seam as
to be almost trying to fill the seam with paint.  the stuff is going to
"shrink" into the seam as it dries but will effectivly leach into the seam
and seal it from the elements.  spraying paint will not get enough paint
into the seam to get it sealed and protected .  you would have to spray so
much paint to get it into the seam that it would be dripping from evrywhere
and look worse than what you started with, at that point you would have been
better getting a quart of rustoleum and brush painting your wheels(and we
all know what that end result would looklike).  after the hand brushing step
then continue with a coat of primer and then color and a clear coat.
caution: on very warm days the primer will dry up very fast in your brush
painting step.  just spray some more primer in the container to get it
thinned again.

this is the way around using a zinc chromate wash since zinc chromate is
getting dificult to obtain without sizeable purchases from regulated
sources.

chuck
you will dislike this step.  but it will give your hard work of stripping
the rims a chance to last much longer and look nicer for a much longer
period oftime than just spraying them.

oh yeah !!!  yes do paint the inside (part tire covers)of the rim if it is
in bare metal or rusty and stripped. it will rust without some sort of
protection.