Correct Gear Shift Lever

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Correct Gear Shift Lever
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:41:47 -0700
Does anyone know the difference by year of the gear shift lever?  I
thought the bent ones would fit all smoothcase and ribcase alike.  I
re-chromed a lever with the correct bend in it, but on assembly the ball
would not fit all the way in the transmission receptacle.  When I
tightened the retaining plate, it would lock the lever and make it
impossible to move.  I have a couple more levers that have not been
re-chromed, but need to be, and they seem to go all the way in the trans
socket. Again, when I tighten down the retaining plate all the way it
once again locks the lever in place.  What's up?
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite
BTW: I have a smoothcase transmission.