Re: SWAG Tech Session

To: "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>
Subject: Re: SWAG Tech Session
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:54:51 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Mark,  Paul just showed the Mods to the case for his conversion, we really
didn't get into the transmissions themselves.

>What Did you learn about the Datsun transmissions ?
 Change the
>input shaft bearing as a matter of course ?

Mark this is the weak point on these transmissions, but you have to split
the cases to replace it, so why not rebuild it all.  I have the same kit
Rivergate is selling which includes all 5 syncros, both main shaft bearings,
input shaft bearing, the main/input shaft pilot needle bearing, all three
countershaft bearings, and both front and rear seals.  I'm not sure what
Bill is charging for this kit now but I want $125 + shipping.

 Or just stick it in and hope for
>the best ?

That's what I did. Mine is fine, but I would not worry about pulling it
again and slapping in another one. Some people don't want to take the
chance.
    I think the rebuilds Rivergate is selling are a great deal if you don't
want to take a chance on a used one or rebuilding one yourself.  They know
these tranmissions and do a better job than you can get at that price
locally.
    I have rebuilt a couple using the Hayden manual "Datsun 210 79-82". It
really isn't that bad a job.  If you decide to do it let me know and I'll
trace a copy of the stand I built so you can make one yourself out of 3/4"
plywood.
        Crash