Fan off for hot day

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Fan off for hot day
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:57:44 -0700 (PDT)
Well, I ran with only the electric fan today (6-blade plasitc one sits on
workbench) in 100 degree temperatures.  The temp quickly hit 190 when the
auto fan kicked in.  Despite the fan's best effort the temp climbed on and
off to 200 and was a source of constant concern as I drove around.  I think
with any drive over 1/2 hour it would have been a problem.  Its stuck tight
to the front of the radiator and spins the right direction to push air
through. Even with the WP fan on for the drive home from Chico, it
threatened to overheat when slowed down in towns.

Now a question or two for the list,
1. What is the purpose of the bypass hose and what is gained and lost when
it is blanked off?
2. Do the advertised deeper impeller, aluminum bodied water pumps do any
better?(MM)
3. Has anyone tried a Suzuki Swift aluminum radiator? I'm thinking of
prowling the Pick and Pull.

All this may seem like overkill to those in other climates, but I'd feel
more comfortable dealing with excess cooling than dealing with too little.

The 5-speed is a complete joy, Paul's kit gets two greasy thumbs up. I
almost appreciate the quiet first gear more than the fifth speed, almost.

Many thanks to all
Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 Bugeye